Memorial Day is not only about having fun with family and friends spending the day at the pool or grilling. It is important to remember why we celebrate Memorial Day. We must honor and remember the sacrifices made by many so that we can enjoy the freedoms we have today. Memorial Day honors those who died in wars, Veterans and current members of the United States military. Enjoy your day but take the time to send a note of thanks to a Veteran you know or visit a local cemetery placing flags or flowers on the graves of fallen soldiers. With so many of us out this weekend, please read the information below to ensure you and your family have a safe weekend.
Memorial Day Weekend Safety
- Allow yourself enough time to get to your destination. With school out and many of us not working this weekend a lot of cars will be on the road so it is better to arrive safely than on time.
- Avoid distractions while on the road. Give your full attention to the road, have others guide you there or have them use a cell phone if needed.
- Make sure to complete a basic car maintenance. Ensure you gas tank is full, tires have enough air and pack any items you will need in the event of an emergency.
- Do not drink and drive. If you think you are going to drink designate a driver ahead of time or have a number on hand to call for a ride.
Sun and Water Safety
- Use sunscreen on yourself and children with an SPF of 30 or higher. Remember to apply at least 30 minutes prior to getting to the park or beach and reapply every 2 hours. If you will be spending more time in the water reapply as directed.
- Stay hydrated. You should always drink plenty of water but remember to drink more than usual if you will be spending more time outdoors.
- Wear proper attire for the occasion. Along with sunscreen, make sure to protect yourself from the sun’s rays with hats and sunglasses. Make sure everyone is wearing proper clothing to be outside such as shorts and lightweight clothing.
- Always swim with a friend or adult. Whether at the beach or pool always swim with someone else and keep each other safe. If you need to, wear a life jacket or pool floats for extra safety.
- Stay safe while riding on a boat. If you are riding on a boat, take the proper precautions for you and others by wearing life jackets and not drinking. It is illegal and extremely dangerous for everyone if anyone is under the influence of alcohol while boating.
- Clean your grill before using. Removing grease or dust from your grill can prevent a fire from starting. Place your grill at a safe distance from your home.
- Extinguish fires completely. If you are planning on camping this weekend or using a fire pit at night make certain that the fire is put out entirely before calling it a night.
- Keep children and pets away from grill. Have children play away from the grill and pets on their leash should be at safe distance from grill to prevent burns.
- Never leave a grill unsupervised when in use. If you need to step away have someone else take over until you come back.
Have a safe and happy Memorial Day from all of us at Premium Insurance.