Drivers who operate certain commercial vehicles, have a gross weight exceeding 26,000 pounds or provide certain transportation of cargo, must carry a Texas DMV number. Below you will find the step-by-Step instructions for new applicants.
Step 1: Verify you need a TXDMV. Click the link below for the TXDMV requirements page:
- TX DMV Requirements Page
- This page also has insurance and fees requirement for different types of motor carriers.
Step 2: Get your information ready.
- Business Name (If you have one)
- Social Security Number
- Date of Birth
- Credit Card Information
- Vehicle Information – Year, Make, Model, VIN
Step 3: Apply For USDOT – All TXDMV applicants must first acquire this number prior to starting the TXDMV application process. Click the link below for the USDOT registration page:
- US DOT Registration Page
- Select: “I think I need to register with the FMCSA to get a USDOT number, Operating Authority (MC/FF/MX number)” for a new registration
- Continue to the New or Existing Registration page and start at Section B.
- Follow the application process by answering the corresponding questions accordingly.
- By the end of this step your USDOT number will be available for processing the TXDMV.
- The updating of a specific USDOT Number or Docket Number requires the use of a Personal Identification Number (PIN) to access the system. (This is not necessary for the TXDMV Number, but it is necessary to update or correct USDOT information)
- Click here to request a USDOT Number PIN be emailed.
Step 4: Apply for TXDMV Number
- Motor carrier registration (TxDMV Number) is available for one year or two years. A motor carrier certificate of registration is non-transferable between carriers registered as a sole proprietor.
- Motor carriers can set up new authority (TxDMV Number) through the new online eLINC registration system.
- Once registered through the eLINC system, Motor carriers can update information, renew certificate*, print cab cards and more through the online Motor Carrier Credentialing System (MCCS).
Step 5: Submit Insurance Requirements
- Now that you have your temporary TXDMV, you can call your commercial auto insurance agent and give them your temporary TXDMV (This number is your TXDMV with the word VOID in the end) so he/she can request E-Filing from the insurance company to the state.
- Once the insurance requirements have been verified, the word VOID will be removed from your TXDMV on your registration page and you will be able to print your Cab Card and start trucking.
We hope this step-by-step description of the process was helpful in guiding you through this relatively complicated procedure, but if you need any help, or get stuck in your progress somewhere, we are always glad to help.
Our membership programs include support for the US DOT and TX DMV application processes. Members also enjoy $200 waived agency for Commercial Auto Insurance applications.